Frequently Asked Questions About Alternative State Quarantine – FAQ ASQ Thailand
What is ASQ?
ASQ is a 14 day process of detaining Thai and foreign travelers at a government-approved hotel, in which travelers agree to pay for the expenses of staying there.
What is normally included in an ASQ package?
An ASQ package normally includes:
1. An accommodation for a total of 16 days and 15 nights
2. Two COVID-19 tests, usually taken on the 3rd day and 11th day of the traveler’s quarantine
3. A 24 hour medical service, commonly a certified nurse, provided by the hotel’s partner hospital
4. Three meals per day
5. Transportation from the nearest airport
What steps must travelers take to be eligible for entry into Thailand?
STEP 1: Contact the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate-General in your country to book a repatriation flight or semi-commercial flight from a participating airline
STEP 2: Book a room in a certified ASQ hotel
STEP 3: Provide a “Fit to Fly” certificate from a healthcare institution as well as a “COVID-19-Free” certificate, which must be filled out no more than 72 hours before departure (Thai nationals are only required to have a “Fit to Fly” certificate)
STEP 4: Submit all the required documents and inform the Thai embassy
STEP 5: Obtain a Certificate of Entry (COE) at least 5 working days prior to departure.
STEP 6: Stay safe by practicing social distancing, regularly using hand sanitizer, and wearing a mask before and during departure
STEP 7: Upon arrival, travelers will be processed separately under specialized screening operations as Thai authorities must cross-check the foreigner’s information with the ASQ system
STEP 8: After the screening, travelers are transported to their ASQ location via the hotel’s transportation
What will happen once you arrive at your room?
You will get settled into your room. Your first round of COVID-19 testing will be between the 3rd and 5th day of your stay. As long as your result comes back negative, you will continue your quarantine for another eight days. The second round of testing will take place between the 11th and 13th day. A negative result will confirm the end of the SAR-CoV-2 incubation period.
What will happen after you have finished your quarantine?
Travelers will be allowed to travel and stay in Thailand. However, the traveler must provide their residential information to the government and download the “Thai Chana” application onto their phone, so that Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health and Thai medical officials can efficiently trace COVID-19 cases for everyone’s safety. During their stay in Thailand, travelers must strictly follow all of the guidelines and instructions provided by the government in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
What documents are required for boarding?
– Valid Thai visa or Re-Entry permit
– Certificate of Entry (COE)
– Completed Declaration Form
– Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) booking confirmation
– Medical Insurance (a minimum of 100,00O USD, which includes the possible cost of a COVID-19 treatment)
– Fit to Fly Health Certificate
– Negative COVID-19 Test result, using a RT-PCR test, no more than 72 hours before departure
**Please note that Fit to Fly and COVID-19-free Certificates must be on separate pieces of paper
***Lack of mandatory documents may result in being denied to board the plane
What would happen if an ASQ guest tests positive for COVID-19 during their stay in the hotel?
That ASQ guest will be transferred and admitted to the hotel’s partner hospital. The guest will be taken care of by certified medics, using the Centre for the COVID-19 Situation Administration’s (CCSA) protocols.
Are ASQ guests allowed to visit each other in their rooms after 7 days of quarantine?
No. However, ASQ guests may socialise for an hour per day in a dedicated isolated area in accordance with the compulsory protocols and health and safety measures relating to physical distancing, which are set by the COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA).
Why do ASQ guests have to stay in the hotel for 15 nights instead of 14 nights?
Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health requires ASQ guests to quarantine for 14 full days and counts the date of arrival in Thailand as Day 0, irrespective of the arrival time in the country on that day.
Can married couples share a hotel room?
Yes. A copy of the couple’s marriage certificate must be submitted when making the Alternative State Quarantine hotel reservation.
Can families share a hotel room?
Yes, subject to the maximum occupants allowed per selected room or suite type. A copy of the parents’ marriage certificate must be submitted when making the Alternative State Quarantine hotel reservation.
Can ASQ guests receive deliveries?
Yes, under the following conditions:
– The guest must inform the hotel of the delivery in advance, including delivery date and estimated time of arrival.
– Upon delivery, the hotel is required to open and inspect the contents, then reseal the package in the presence of the delivery person, before delivering it to the guest’s room.
– For deliveries of prescription medicine, guests must provide a valid prescription.
– Guests may NOT have food, beverages, alcohol, narcotics, weapons, or ammunition delivered.
Can ASQ guests receive food deliveries from family and friends?
Yes, under the following conditions:
– Only the guest’s family member may deliver the food to the hotel. Food deliveries by messenger or food delivery services are not allowed.
– The family member must present their Thai citizenship ID upon delivery at the hotel.
– The guest must sign a “disclaimer” letter upon receiving the food.
What should be covered in COVID-19 insurance?
According to the Thailand Insurance Commission, COVID-19 insurance for foreigners is approved to cover travelers who pass through immigration in Thailand. Insurances are also sold online and offered jointly by sixteen co-insurance companies. There are two parts in the coverage:
– In case of death caused by COVID-19, the company will financially compensate for the funeral and repatriation costs, for up to 3.2 million baht (102,000 US dollars).
– In case of a positive COVID-19 test result, the company will compensate for the necessary medical treatment, for up to 3.2 million baht (102,000 US dollars).
credit: Thailand Insurance Commission
What is the booking procedure?
Normally, the hotel will request for further details:
– Email address
– A copy of passport
– Marriage and/or birth certificate (for couples & families)
– A deposit to confirm reservation
What is the cancellation policy?
Each hotel has a different cancellation policy. Some hotels allow guests to postpone their stay date if they happen to face issues, such as flight cancellations or delays from the embassies. You can check or ask for more information on specific hotels’ policies in our Facebook community group (ASQ in Thailand).
What is the pick-up process from the airport?
An assigned team, appointed by the government, will lead travelers through the process, and afterwards they will meet their hotel’s representative at a dedicated gate.
Why must travelers quarantine?
The purpose of Thailand’s quarantine policy is to prevent the new COVID-19 cases from being imported and spread within the kingdom.
Should I book a flight or an ASQ room first?
It depends on flight and ASQ room availability as well as airline and ASQ hotel policies. However, to reserve a room at many ASQ hotels, the applicant is required to submit proof of flight reservation or flight ticket; therefore, it may be beneficial to book a flight before an ASQ room.
*** Please make sure that the arrival date matches with the ASQ reservation***
Can the COVID-19 virus travel from one guest room to another through the hotel’s air-conditioning system?
No. In order for a hotel to pass as an ASQ hotel, all guest rooms must have standalone air-conditioning units. Moreover, each room’s air-conditioning unit and filters are properly sanitized after each guest’s checks out.
Are pets allowed in hotel rooms?
No. But there are pet hotel services available in Bangkok.
Can I smoke in hotel rooms?
Most ASQ hotels have non-smoking rooms. However, some hotels do offer smoking rooms or have balconies where you might be able to smoke.
How Do I Get to the Hotel From the Airport?
All ASQ bookings are packaged with transportation from the airport to the hotel.
Will the ASQ Hotel Provide Water?
Yes. Most hotels will provide 2-4 bottles of water per day.
Will Housekeeping Clean My Room?
Yes. While the schedule may differ at some hotels, housekeeping will be provided twice a week, or once every two days after your first negative COVID-19 test. You will wait in another room, or a designated area, while your room is cleaned.
What is the list of Prohibited Items?
1. Uncooked food e.g. raw eggs, raw fish or meat (fruit & vegetables allowed)
2. Food without FDA label
3. Yogurt or pasteurized items from outside
4. Drugs, narcotics and all alcoholic beverages
5. Antipyretics/Fever-reducing medicine
6. Anything from food delivery services
7. Restricted items such as knives, cutter blades or firearms/guns
Where can I find reviews of ASQ hotels?
You can find ASQ Hotel reviews and more helpful information on our Facebook community group “ASQ in Thailand”
Can guests have any items such as documents or personal items be taken out of their rooms to be sent?
No. During the quarantine period, all items including documents are considered biohazard waste when taken out of the room and subject to disposal. Once an ASQ guest finishes quarantine, they may then take their documents and belongings with them out of the hotel. Anything left behind will be disposed of and not kept in lost-and-found.