Breaking news on Golf Quarantine
The Tourism Minister said on Monday he had proposed a plan to allow foreigners to quarantine in some of the country’s many golf resorts to boost the ailing tourism sector during the coronavirus pandemic.
“We are discussing with the Public Health Ministry and the country’s coronavirus taskforce to offer hotel and golf quarantine for tourists with medical certificates,” said the Minister
Foreign tourists would be able to spend the two-week quarantine period at a specified resort and move around in the hotel area and also play golf, he said, rather than just isolating in their rooms.
The GQ (golf quarantine) plan, then got approval from Thai Cabinet on December 7, 2020. On January 7, 2021 , 6 courses have now been certified by the health department as ‘Golf Quarantine’ facilities.
Here is the list:
1) Mida Golf Club Kanchanaburi – Kanchanaburi province
2) Evergreen Hills Golf Club & Resort – Kanchanaburi province
3) Blue Star Golf Course – Kanchanaburi province
4) Artitaya Golf & resort – Nakon Nayok province
5) Sawang Resort Golf Club – Cha-Am, Petchaburi province
6) Artitaya Chiang Mai Golf & Resort – Lamphun province
The kingdom attracted 40 million tourists in 2019 who spent 1.91 trillion baht, but the number of visitors dived during the pandemic after borders were sealed, devastating hotels, restaurants and tourist spots that relied on foreigner visitors.
A special visa scheme that was started last year for long stay visitors has attracted about 1,000 visitors, Mr Phiphat said.